Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Spreadable Butter

We have the typical butter/margarine debate at home.  I prefer margarine because I already have a weight problem but don't have issues with high blood pressure/cholesterol.  My husband prefers the taste of butter, is skinny enough to need the extra fat, and already has high triglycerides (making trans fats something to be avoided).

Since he's the only one eating actual butter, it doesn't make since to keep a stick on the counter to keep it soft - we just don't go through very much very fast.  He loves spreadable butter - but the cost if WAY more than margarine, and about double that of stick butter.

So, I found suggestions for making the spreadable butter myself.  I softened 1 cup of butter, then put it in the mixer with 1/2 cup canola oil.  After whipping it for a few minutes, I put the mixture in an old store-bought container, and my husband couldn't tell the difference.  (What didn't fit in the container, I put in the freezer for later.)  First trial a success!


This time around, I used 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup canola oil, and 1/2 cup water.  Hubby says that he can tell that something's a little different, but the finished product was "acceptable."  We'll see which one he requests when I run out of this batch in a few months!





1 comment:

  1. I will have to try this. A friend has a method of bottling butter, like you bottle fruit. Apparently that gives you soft butter all the time, too. I should take a hint from a comment my son made about all the butter in the freezer and try bottling some butter and see if it really is spreadable.

    I like your butter label!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...